Here at Railshosting.org our goal is to bring you the most up to date information in the world of Rails hosting. Whether that's uncovering news stories, bringing you great lists of tutorials, top hosts, or giving you the information you need to make the best choice possible to host your app. In an effort to bring you the most up to date information we've decided to crowd-source some of our information and bring you hosting reviews of some of our top hosts. These posts give you pros and cons to weigh your decision against. As is expected the reviews contained in these articles are not the opinions of Railshosting.org. Instead it's the voice of the internet, those that have gone before you that will give you their opinions. We hope that their experiences, whether for good or ill, will aid you in your journey to build and deploy the application of your dreams.
In this article we are going to give you a look at some HostGator reviews. We will look at a few reviews, one from an “unbiased” review source and then we will look at some customer feedback reviews. We hope this information is useful to you in your search for great Rails hosting.
This review comes from topwebhostreview.net(link to full review)
”HostGator offers wide range of web hosting services. Shared, VPS, dedicated, and even reseller hosting are all available in both Windows and Linux OS at HostGator. For the ease of reference, we will review its (most popular) shared hosting plans – the BabyGator and BusinessGator Plans. Listed below are the pros and cons of HostGator hosting services.”
What’s good about HostGator?
- Reliable web hosting services – Fast and extremely reliable hosting servers (over 99.9% uptime). Eco-friendly web hosting service – All HostGator servers are 130% wind powered (means they are generating more clean power than they are using).
- Unlimited MySQL databases – Unlimited databases is a huge plus for those who wish to host multiple websites in one account.
- Supreme customer support – HostGator provides excellent after-sales service via 24/7 toll-free phone, live chat, email, and a "hyper-active" employee-based forum (note that HostGator is the only web host that has its employees monitoring and responding on its support forum).
- Long trial period – HostGator customers get up to 45 days of trial period.
- Lots of hosting options – HostGator provides different level of web hosting services (shared/VPS/dedicated/reseller; Windows/Linux hosting) hence customers can expand their websites without worrying about hosting upgrades.
- Great hosting features – Get features that you can’t get from most other web host from Hostgator including Chilisoft ASP, Curl, GD, Image Magick, ZenCart, osCommerce, Cube Cart, and Agora Cart.
- Best business hosting plan – Free private SSL, dedicated IP, and toll free number (with free call time) for BusinessGator Hosting Plan users; this makes HostGator the best in term of business hosting.
What’s bad about HostGator?
- Expensive – Hostgator’s shared hosting plan price is slightly higher than most other web host (roughly $1 to 3/mo extra compare to the average); but, you get what you paid for – topnotch hosting and after-sales service.
- Unlike most other web hosts, HostGator does not offer free domain name (however this is just a $10/yr issue).
Customer review snippets:
- User Ivony on webhostingcop.com says: “I have been with Host Gator for around 6 years now and figured I should post my experiences with HG. In all that time I have never had an issue that was not resolved promptly and courteously….”
- User Erik on webhostingcop.com says: “Wanted to add ssl to my site, so I used their form to submit the request. They say they will get back in 12-24 hours. No reply. After 3 days, I submitted another. Still no reply. Finally submitted a ticket and they had no idea. Told them the email domain, etc. They couldnt find the ticket, and claimed their replies had been caught in a spam filter…..”
- User Kari on WebHostingJury.com says: “i just signed up for hostgator vps and they had me up in literally five minutes!! they answer their phones and there is no press #2 for blah, blah....a guy just answers!”
- User cjbay on Namepros.com says: "I've hosted with a few other hosts before, and I've compared the prices and hostgator has good pricing and I've never had problems with uptime, but if you are late on payment you basically get screwed if you continue to go through them after being late, just a heads up to anyone considering hostgator. I was late on payment the other day, so they suspended my account. You don't pay for the previous month's hosting with them, you pay in advance. So to use my website this month, I would have to pay them in advance, or they shut it off before it gets into this month's hosting. "
We also want to include what the Twitter community has to say about HostGator, here are a few quick quotes.
- @ArrantSquid ”I have NEVER called or chatted with a rep from HostGator and not had my issue resolved then and there. If you're not using them you're wrong”.
- @wealthydragon ”I use Hostgator for all my WordPress sites - good prices and excellent support.”
- @alwaysme3 "I use and love @HostGator. They use CPanel and have a great CS team in Texas. Been happy there."
- @MrStevenYoung ”They broke my site, lost all viable backups, didn't offer any credit, left me hanging with "we're sorry"..”
In conclusion, as with most hosts there are many reviews to be read. Overall I would say that the reviews for HostGator are mostly positive with a few people who have overwhelmingly negative things to say. HostGator offers many plans with Rails version 2.3.5.